If you’ve been thinking of using this new, inventive take on replacing your individual shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, detangler, and leave-in conditioner with just ONE product, you’ve found it in this one!
For those who maybe haven’t heard of WEN before or know little about it, let me get down to the (not so) nitty-gritty.
What is it?
WEN is a 5-in-1 formula that cleanses your hair without the harsh detergents or the lather.
I know what you’re thinking… No lather?! It’s sad to say but that lather you enjoy so much (and once upon a time I did too), is actually bad for your hair. It strips away all its moisture, natural oils, color and breaks down its strength. Who knew bubbles could be so mean?
WEN takes away all of that nastiness by eliminating the need to lather. This makes your hair stronger, healthier and trust me, it feels better. When you touch your hair it’s soft, supple and not greasy.
The formula itself is rich, smells amazing and the best part? There are ingredients you can actually read! Here’s a list of recurring ingredients in almost all the formulas/scents:
- Glycerin: A humectant that provides moisturizing benefits to the hair.
- Chamomile Extract: Used for its soothing and calming properties.
- Rosemary Leaf Extract: Soothes hair.
- Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5): Strengthens hair and restores resilience.
It’s made with natural botanical extracts like the ones listed above but there’s also Wild Cherry Fruit Extract, Pomegranate Extract, and Fig Extract, just to name a few more. It all just depends on which scents you get!
And speaking of scents, the different smells provide different things to the hair. It depends on your preference and the type of hair you have.
Which formula/scent matches your hair type?
There’s a formula for every hair type! Since I have naturally curly hair that’s thick in every way, I needed a hydrating, moisturizing and protective formula because I like to dye my hair. While they all have the awesomeness of hydrating magic, take into account your hair type. Is it fine? Coarse? Do you have a dry, itchy scalp? Just like a dating app, let’s take a look at the matches and find your best one:
- Sweet Almond Mint: for all hair types, but especially good for fine-to-medium hair.
- Lavender (what I use): formulated for dry, dehydrated, and/or color-treated hair. It also creates volume without weighing hair down (great for curls and waves)!
- Fig (also used this one): moisturizes, replenishes quenched hair and is great for thicker, coarser hair.
- Pomegranate: adds moisture without weighing it down.
- Tea Tree: great for dry, flaky, sensitive scalps. Also great for curly, wavy, thick and/or coarse hair.
- Cucumber Aloe: ideal for oily scalps and fine-to-medium hair. It’s great in the summer, especially after a swim because it prevents that green tint from chlorine if you’re a blonde.
Did you find your perfect match? Great! Now let’s learn how easy it is to apply it and all the magical things you can do with just ONE bottle!
How to use it?
You can follow the directions which are conveniently located on the back of the label because it will take a little bit to get used to at first. It’s like relearning how to wash your hair and scalp.
You’ll want to rinse your hair thoroughly. What I do is wet my entire head, then lift sections of my hair so the water hits it. Then, according to the recommendations (also on the back of the label), I apply 6 pumps as a total. Since my hair is so thick but only reaches about an inch or two past my collarbone, I take 3 pumps and apply it to my ends and mid-shaft. Then with the remaining 3 pumps, I apply it to the rest of my hair in a downward motion so it evenly distributes. Add a splash of water (so again it’ll distribute) and begin massaging thoroughly. Remember: it won’t lather so it’s not a good idea to stand there scrubbing your head intensely.
Your scalp may feel slightly tingly, but this is normal and will subside once you continue using WEN.
Other ways to use it:
Remember when I said it’s a 5-in-1 formula? Here’s a list of all the useful things it can be used for and maybe replace a couple.
- Leave in conditioner (wet hair): when I’m done showering but my hair is still soaking wet, I apply a pump to my ends.
- Leave in conditioner (dry hair): yes, you can even apply it to dry hair! I normally use this technique when I’m planning on doing an up-do.
- Hairspray: now, if you’re wanting to execute a dramatic hairstyle, then I don’t think it’ll quite work for that, but then again, I haven’t tried it that way. But just as you would apply it to dry hair, you can apply to sections you don’t want fly-aways and to keep your hair in place.
I use WEN Cleansing Conditioner (almost) everyday. There are days I don’t shampoo so it helps me go the length with its non-greasy formula and keeps my hair fresh the next day.
I’ve used other shampoos that “claimed” they were for curly hair and/or color-treated hair, but nothing has improved the way my hair looks and feels like WEN has. I don’t use a curling iron nor blow dry my hair so it keeps my curls bouncy and voluminous so there’s no need for the heat!
I highly recommend using it (or at least try it) as it comes in different sizes and there’s a formula for every hair type!
I can proudly say I’ve been a WEN girl for 4 years now.